Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Enjoying the Rye

This week's loaves are coming out particularly well. Yesterday's four Ryes had a very pretty oven spring, I though.  Here's a picture.

Jewish Deli Rye. Look at those ears!
 So what do you do with your loaf? I really, really like this bread toasted. If you're looking to make a classic pastrami sandwich, I recommend using the approach detailed here, and I'll reproduce it below, verbatim, after sharing a picture of the sandwich I just enjoyed for lunch.

Pastrami on Rye with Provolone and Spicy Mayo.
 “CRAVING NEW YORK” PASTRAMI AND PROVOLONE ON RYE
4-5 slices pastrami
2 slices rye bread
4 slices provolone cheese
3 tablespoons mayonnaise
2 tablespoons honey mustard
1 tablespoons horseradish
black pepper to taste
Mix mayonnaise, honey mustard, horseradish and black pepper in a small bowl and set aside. For the sandwich, smooth on the spicy mayonnaise, then layer on provolone cheese and meat. Top with other slice. Melt a small pat of butter in a warm skillet, then place sandwich in skillet to warm, flipping once. Remove from heat when cheese is melted, slice in half, and serve.
I might have a heart attack before the end of the day today,  but at least I'll have had a good lunch!

1 comment:

  1. Never mind the pastrami. I'll use this week's rye bread with corned beef.
    http://www.seriouseats.com/images/201106016-157058-a-sandwich-a-day-sam-lagrasse-corned-beef-rye-boston.jpg

    ReplyDelete