Sunday, October 12, 2014

Second Week of the Bread Share and a New Bread

I'm pretty sure our original plan was to stick to one particular loaf of bread at the beginning of the bread share. It sounded like a good idea, then I hit on a couple of nice loaves that I thought would be a good fit. One is a nice Jewish Deli Rye Boule with caraway seeds, the other a Roasted Potato Fendu. So this week it'll be the rye.

I talk a bit about this loaf in this post last month. It was a bit of a gamble, as I was heavily modifying a formula from Hamelman, but it worked, at least in my opinion. This loaf makes exceptional toast. I hope you all enjoy it. As with week one's loaf, this is 100% natural levain, no comercial yeast. It's about 15% whole organic rye berries that we mill ourselves, and the rest is unbleached white flour, with some pacific sea salt (from California) and just enough caraway seeds. Not too many!
Resting Boules of Seeded Jewish Deli Rye
Oh, and though tasty, the 100% Whole Wheat loaf that we baked this morning won't be featured in this posting. One photo of a flat-itsh dense loaf a week is enough.

I sincerely hope that everyone enjoyed week one's offering. That loaf is one I've been working on for a long time, and I think that it's tasty, hearty, healthy, and wheaty without being too over the top. As always, be sure to let me know if there's something about the loaf you'd improve.

Week two! Here we go!

No comments:

Post a Comment